Seventh and eighth grade Latin students, led by their Roman soldier armor-clad teacher Victoria, welcomed a new class of 6th grade Latin students at today’s Latin Naming Ceremony. A bag of chips was sacrificed, but no students were harmed.
+ More photos on Facebook
Letter from Jerry
Goldilocks and The Princess Bride are on my mind today.
Goldilocks first. In our quest to find just the right amount of communication coming home to you from Emerson, we realize that sometimes it is too much and other times it is too little. We also recognize that this formula differs from home to home, grade to grade, and child to child. With all these dynamics in mind, we are following the guidelines listed below:
- The Emerson newsletter going out each Friday will include as much useful information as possible, in a format that enables you easily skim through for relevant information.
- We will send out a mid-week “Newsflash” email when there is information that we feel a significant number of parents need to know before Friday of each week.
- We fully realize that hearing from your child’s teachers is important, so you can expect regular classroom emails and/or newsletters to help keep you informed on what is happening in the classroom.
We hope that you will find our strategic approach helpful as we settle into the communication needs of a diverse community.
And, Princess Bride? Emerson School is hosting this absolutely timeless movie at the Michigan Theater this Sunday at 1:30pm. We hope you will come out and enjoy this FREE event for Emerson School families (just mention you’re an Emerson family at the door).
Head of School
All School News
Head Search Update
6 Semifinalists to be Interviewed
School Picture Order Forms Due
Free Tickets to The Princess Bride
Sunday, Sept. 21 at 1:30pm at The Michigan Theater
Emerson School is sponsoring the screening of The Princess Bride, part of the Michigan Theater’s Family-Friendly Film Series. Kids receive free admission, and parents will receive complimentary admission (worth $10) by stating they are an Emerson parent at the door. An short Emerson video will be screened prior to the film.
Be Part of the Halloween Carnival
First Organizing Meeting on Sept. 24
If you are interested in helping organize the Halloween Carnival, join us for our first organizing meeting on Wednesday, September 24th, right after drop off in the fishbowl. Here are the areas we need your help:
- Decorations – creating, designing and hanging
- Haunted House – decorating
- Orange Cafe – helping make this room more environmentally and allergy friendly and improving the flow of traffic
- Games – choosing and making the games
- Boo-tique – all ideas welcome
- Crafty corner/science lab – new spooky science ideas needed
Contact Jamie Sinha if you can make it! If you are unable to make it, but would still like to be involved, let me know. All help is welcome!! A sign up genius with more specific volunteer opportunities will come soon, this meeting is for planning.
Order Pizza Lunch Through ESPO Email
Earn Thousands for Emerson by Shopping
Shop at Stores that Give to Emerson
+ Learn more
Clip Box Tops and Labels for Emerson
+ Learn more or contact Dana DeBord, BTFE and LFE Parent-Coordinator.
Lower School News
Lower School Curriculum Night
Tuesday, Sept. 23, 7:00pm – 8:30pm
Teachers will present snapshots of what will happen in your child’s classes this year. Teachers also look forward to meeting with you during conferences on Oct. 15th and 16th to discuss your child’s individual performance. If you have any concerns or questions before that time, please feel free to contact your child’s teachers by email or phone.
- Grades K-2: Visit individual Specials classrooms from 7:00 – 7:30pm and then go to your child’s Homeroom from 7:35 – 8:05pm
- Grades 3-5: Go to your child’s Homeroom from 7:00 – 7:30pm and then visit individual Specials classrooms from 7:35 – 8:05pm
Child Care Available for Curriculum Night
Available 6:45pm – 8:30pm
- Open to all Emerson students and siblings aged 4 and up
- $10 per child, charged to your account at the end of September
- Held in the Middle School, sign in outside Room 213
- Supervised by After School Program Staff Members
- Reservations required by Friday, September 19th
Middle School News
Middle School Curriculum Online
Thank you for attending this past week’s Middle School Curriculum Night. The energy and enthusiasm in the hallways and classrooms were palpable, and we hope you found the information and experience useful in getting a feel for your child’s Emerson experience. To follow up on this experience, we invite you to investigate our online curriculum linked below. – Andy Zimmer, Middle School Director
+ Online Curriculum
Soccer – Sept. 11: Emerson Beats Spiritus Sanctus 7-0
Spiritus Sanctus made the long trip from Plymouth to Emerson’s Bateson Field last Thursday, to take on Emerson’s middle school soccer team. With Emerson’s 8th graders back from back from camp, and fresh off many team-building activities, the visitors may have come at a disadvantageous moment…
+ Read more
Soccer – Sept. 16: First Road Game Ends in 4-0 Victory
The Emerson Middle School soccer team took their show on the road for the first time this season, traveling to Ann Arbor Christian Academy Tuesday afternoon. Whether at home or away, a pattern is starting to develop with this group of kids—stifling defense, and…
+ Read more
Soccer – Sept. 18: 6-1 Win Keeps Emerson Undefeated
St. Francis traveled across town to play Emerson’s Eagles on Thursday. Though Emerson had dominated the rivalry, and dominated play this day, St. Francis battled their way to a 1-0 lead midway through the first half. After the Eagles had put strong pressure on the St. Francis defense, with numerous shots…
+ Read more
Community News & Events
Author Philippa Gregory at Nicola’s
Sept. 19 at 7:00pm
News York Times bestselling author Philippa Gregory will be at Nicola’s Books to sign autographs. Her books have been turned into the Starz original series The White Queen.
MAGC Gifted Education Conference
Excelling with the Common Core
Oct. 11, 8:00am – 4:45pm at MSU Campus
Meet other parents and educators and learn strategies for identifying, raising, and educating gifted kids. Speakers, vendors, and school representatives will be on hand, including Emerson School.
+ Learn more