Letter from Jerry
What could be better than looking up from my 14th meeting of the day and being serenaded by our very own Emerson School marching band right outside my window! Our usual sedentary middle school musicians are preparing for their annual march at Cedar Point. The stirring beat of “Calypso Goodbye” not only brought a big smile to my face and a tap to my toes, it reminded me what a joyous place our school is. It is also a reminder of what is the real payoff from all your efforts during this incredibly busy time of year.
Thank you for keeping all the learning and joy afloat at Emerson. The weather is great, the music is beautiful, tomorrow is June 1st, and I hope you have an absolutely wonderful weekend.
Head of School
All School News
Please Make Your Annual Fund Contribution
Give every year. Make a difference every day.
Please make your Annual Fund gift today—at any level. All contributions made by June 25th will count toward this fiscal year. Thank you!
- Online: www.emerson-school.org/give
- By Check: At the Emerson School office or by mail
- By Phone: 734.665.9005, ext. 305 or 312
Building STEAM campaign update
We’re watching the campus changing before our eyes, and we have made terrific progress toward our $500,000 campaign challenge. BUT…. we are not yet done!
- We have received commitments totaling $342,000.
- We have $158,000 left to raise by June 30th.
- Pledges can be paid over a period of up to five years, and no payment is necessary by June 30th to meet our challenge- just your commitment.
- If you’re ready to make your gift, click here to print your pledge form
- Questions can be directed to Sue Johnson
Field Day Volunteers Needed
Wednesday, June 11th
The kids have a fun day of activities ahead of them and we could use volunteers to help make things run smoothly! We need:
- Up to 25 volunteers from 8:45am – 10:45am to help Lower School students enjoy age appropriate challenge stations and relay events on the soccer fields.
- Six volunteers from 1:00pm – 2:30pm to help supervise games and challenges the 6th and 7th grader created for the afternoon field events for the entire school to enjoy. As is tradition, the 8th graders will be in the dunk tanks and each student gets a chance to soak the graduates!
We hope you can find time to come and enjoy one of the best days of the year! Please contact Jen Pinto, Field Day Volunteer Coordinator, at 734-276-1031 email@example.com if you have any questions.
+ Sign up online
Final ESPO Meeting on June 4
8:30am at Lake Forest Golf Club on Ellsworth Rd
Please join Emerson parents as we wrap up the year with bagels and coffee.
+ See the agenda
Summer Tutors Are Available
Check the Lost and Found
The Lost and Found bins are overflowing. If you find yourself in the building, please come and browse. Any items left at the end of the year will be donated.
Remember Your Student Account Payments
Please remember to pay your student balances. Final report cards cannot not be released on accounts that have balances. Thank you! —The Business Office
Used Book Sale
May 29, 7:30am – 5:30pm and May 30, 7:30am – 4:00pm
In addition to the opportunity for our families to find great books, all money collected will go to a charity that serves children, education, and/or literacy. Please help make this year’s Book Sale a success:
- Donate used books. WANTED: Book for babies to adults (except for text books or anything inappropriate to display to children of all ages), CDs, DVDs, and games with all of their pieces. For every ten items donated to the sale, your child will get a free book at the sale.
Please bring your donations to the library between May 26 and May 29 with an approximate count of how many books you are donating.
- Volunteer to help. Let Linda know if you can help setting up in the library on Wed., May 28 starting at 4:00, or during the hours of operation above (our busiest times are before and after school).
- Shop the book sale. Don’t forget to send money with your children to shop with their class during the day.
• Children’s books: $0.10
• Adult paperbacks: $0.25
• Adult hardcovers: $0.50
Middle School News
Middle School Book Buy Back
For your convenience, buyback will be offered online only at www.mbsDirect.net. It’s simple and you can login anytime, 24/7, to MBS from your computer. No need to worry about dates or times for the books to be returned to the school.
+ See detailed instructions
6th grade books to keep
- JAPANESE: Adventure in Japanese 1 – Textbook, Workbook and Flashcards
- LATIN: Jenney’s First Year Latin – Textbook and Workbook
- SOCIAL STUDIES: Creating America
- SPANISH: Ven Conmigo! Level 1 – Textbook, Activity book and Grammar book
7th grade books to keep
- ALGEBRA: Algebra 1 Concepts and Skills (Unless going into Geometry)
- JAPANESE: Adventure in Japanese 2 – Textbook and Workbook
- LATIN: Jenney’s First Year Latin – Textbook, Workbook and Bantam Latin/English Dictionary
- SPANISH: Ven Conmigo! Level 2 – Textbook, Activity book, Grammar book
Note: The 2014/2015 Middle School Books will not post on the MBS website until July 1, 2014. Prior to July 1, 2014 the 2013/2014 Middle School Book list will still be posted.
Community News & Events
YA’SSOO Greek Festival
June 6 – 7, 11:00am – midnight; June 8, 12:00pm – 6:00pm
If you enjoyed the Greek dancers at Emerson’s Passport to the World event, then you should check out this annual event. Everyone is welcome and there will be Greek cuisine, homemade pastries, live music and entertainment, a marketplace and bookstore, tours, and more.
+ Learn more
Middle School Learn to Row
Starts Monday, June 23, for all 6th-8th graders
Get on the water this spring and try an incredible sport with the Washtenaw Rowing Center! Rowing (aka crew) is flourishing in our community, with nationally competitive boys and girls teams at all three Ann Arbor high schools, as well as top collegiate programs at universities throughout the state. Now middle school students also have the chance to give it a try, in a fun and relaxed atmosphere where they’ll learn basic technique and get on the water to experience what this exciting sport is all about! Space is limited- sign up today to get your spot!
+ Find more information and sign up, or contact Program Director Kit Bennett