Letter From Jerry
I fully empathize with the inconvenience and added expense these school closings mean for our families. By this point, we all wish that we were in school every day and this winter would calm down. Thank you for bearing with us and I will be reporting back to you this weekend as needed.
Please stay warm this weekend,
Jerry Loewen, Head of School
All School Announcements
- Jan. 27: No morning bus. Afternoon bus only.
- Jan. 28: No buses.
Summer at Emerson 2014 Info Online
Visit the Summer at Emerson page on Emerson’s website to see the 2014 listing of camps.
Sunday, Feb. 2, 2pm – 4pm
If your child is thriving at Emerson, please share the love. Tell someone you know about the upcoming K-5 information meeting. We can’t thank you enough for the support. Learn more.
Order Main Dish Lunch for Second Semester
Main Dish orders DO NOT continue to second semester unless you place a new order. Visit www.maindishlunch.com and click on Lower School or Middle School to place your order.
Make Pizza Lunch Changes
The second session of Pizza Lunch begins on Friday, Feb. 7. If you don’t want to make any changes, there is nothing to do. To make changes, please email Jen Barba by Jan. 24.
Humane Society Drive by 3rd Grade Brownies
The 3rd grade Brownies troop is organizing a donation drive for the Huron Valley Humane Society from Jan. 29 to Feb. 14. Please bring your pet-related items to the collection boxes that will be located in the K-2 hallway, Fish Bowl, main entrance, and middle school commons.
2014 Auction: remember. celebrate. imagine.
Friday, March 14, 2014 at Barton Hills Country Club
If you have been considering a donation to the Emerson Auction, now is the time. Upcoming deadlines and events include:
Sponsorship: Help defray auction expenses with your cash donation.
Catalog Inclusion Deadline: Feb. 7
Advertising in the Auction Catalog
Extended Deadline: Jan. 29 to send artwork
Donations: Consider what you might enjoy winning
Class Baskets: Jan. 28 (contact class basket leaders)
Forms Deadline: Jan. 31st, delivery Feb. 25th
Anyone can donate an item or get together with friends to donate a themed basket. Suggested items include:
- Tickets (sporting, musical, theater, museum exhibits, special tours).
- Meals (home cooked specialty foods, special location, catered, restaurant).
- Kids’ Items (books, games, electronic games, toys, crafts, sports equipment).
- Adult Items (night out, sports memorabilia, electronics, jewelry, clothing).
- Get Away Time or Specialty Outings (spa, vacation, golf, specialty parties).
- Restaurant Gift Certificates
- Wine (donate a bottle valued between $25 and $100 for the wine pull)
Volunteer: Friday, Jan. 31, 8:30am – 12:00pm We need your help stuffing invitations in the Fish Bowl.
If you want to volunteer or have questions, email Beth Andersonor call 665-5662 x305.
Join other parents in the Emerson Kitchen serving Pizza Lunch to your kids and their friends! There are openings for the next few weeks and beyond. Please see openings and sign up online, or contact Maureen Kachman to get involved. Thank you for your support of this popular fundraiser at Emerson.
Bonus Box Tops for Education at Meijer
60 Bonus Box Tops ($6) When You Buy 10
Buy any 10 or more Box Tops for Education products, and get 60 bonus box tops—that’s $6! BTFE certificate prints at register (Meijer Customer Coupon at checkout). Limit one coupon per transaction. Purchases must be made in a single transaction. Offer valid now through 02/01/14.
BTFE and Labels for Education can always be returned to the collection container in the fish bowl. If you have any question please feel free to contact Dana DeBord.
- 8th Grade Parent Information Meeting: Tuesday, February 11. 6:30pm. Learn more.
- Held in the Little Theater and includes information about the enrollment process
- General curriculum and program information at 7pm in Schreiber Auditorium
Dexter High School
- 8th Grade Information Meeting: Wednesday, Mar. 12, 7-8pm at DHS Center for Performing Arts
- Parent IB specific evening meetings will be held in March, dates TBD
- More about Dexter High School and more about the International Baccalaureate program
Saline High School
- 8th Grade Open House: Monday, Feb. 3, tours 6-6:45pm, presentation at 7pm in auditorium. Learn more.
- For enrollment/admission information, please contactMandy Rucky (734) 429-8000 ext. 8018.
- Beginning February 18, 2014, Saline Area Schools will begin to accept enrollment paperwork.
- Testing Out Information: Testing out registration is currently taking place. All students that would like to test out of a class must submit their application by January 31, 2014.
Community High School Parent/Student Orientations
- Orientations: Thursday, Jan. 30, 7:00-8:30pm, Monday, Feb. 3, 7:00-8:30pm, Thursday, Feb. 6, 7:00-8:30pm. Learn more.
- Applicants must be current 8th graders, meet the district’s residency requirements at the time of application, attend an orientation meeting with parent/guardian, and submit a completed application by 4:00 PM Friday, February 7 2014.
Other News & Events
Saturday, Feb. 8, 1-2:30pm
Our friends at Quest Martial Arts offer this course bi-annually for women, taught by women. Call Quest Martial Arts to register (734) 332-1800. Learn more.