Letter From Jerry
Let’s brush off the sluggish start to 2014 this week and look forward to the exciting months to come. Here are just a few of the things coming forward in the very near future:
- We will be sending a survey out to all parents very soon gauging your interest in the addition of Chinese to our World Language program for the 2014-15 school year.
- We have several admissions events on tap, including next Thursday at 10am for K-2. It bears repeating that the most significant dynamic in attracting new families to Emerson is your word of mouth.
- We will soon be posting a full scope and sequence of our curriculum from grades K-8. In this document will be the major content and skills taught in all subjects across all grade levels. While our curriculum is quite dynamic and not always best captured in this static way, it is the most thorough and accessible tool to understand what is actually being taught at Emerson School.
- The Capital Campaign ended the year in a very exciting fashion, bringing us just short of $2 million in our $3 million goal.
- And, lastly, please stop in and visit with Roger Spurgeon, our new Technology Director who officially started yesterday.
Jerry Loewen, Head of School
All School Announcements
Congratulations to 5th grader Will Collin and 2nd grader Thea Tolbert for being chosen to perform their musical compositions at the Michigan Music Conference in Grand Rapids, Saturday, Jan. 18. Only twenty K-12 students throughout the state are selected from hundreds of submissions. Will will play his piano composition Tsouke’s Dance and Thea will perform her song Walking Forward joined with her group: Chiara Bichakjian, Addie Kim, and Parini Rao.
Jan. 16, 10am – 12pm at Emerson School
The vast majority of new families learn about Emerson by talking with parents like you. Please tell someone you know about the upcoming K-2 information meeting. We can’t thank you enough for the support. Learn more.
Old Calendars Wanted for Class Art Projects
Donate your old calendars to Connie Weber’s 5th grade class and they will make beautiful art with them.
Local Flu Activity Has Doubled
Avoid the flu with some simple tips from Diane Wentland, Emerson’s medical assistant.
- Get vaccinated—it’s not too late
- Wash hands with soap frequently
- Eat a healthy diet
- Get regular exercise (your students do in PE and recess)
- Get plenty of rest
- Stay away from people who are sick
- Stay home if you are sick and avoid others
The second session of Pizza Lunch begins on Friday, Feb. 7. If you don’t want to make any changes, there is nothing to do. To make changes, please email Jen Barba by Jan. 24.New Emerson Website is Online
- Easily find information or click the magnifying glass at the top to search the entire site.
- Subscribe to calendars on your computer, phone, or tablet’s calendar app.
- Calendars separated by interest: General, Athletics, Band & Orchestra, Theatre Arts.
- Log into RenWeb from anywhere via the Parent Login link at the top.
- Browse news by date, grade level, or topic.
During the weeks of Jan. 22 – Feb. 7, 2014, all 4th-8th grade students will take the Comprehensive Testing Program (CTP) standardized tests published by Educational Records Bureau (ERB). These tests will once again be given online with Emerson technology, and classroom teachers will serve as proctors for their grade. Learn more.
Enrichment Classes and Piano Lessons Available
- There are still a few paces open in our Winter Enrichment Classes. Contact Beth Muszkiewicz for more details.
- Piano lessons are available on Monday and Tuesday afternoons. Contact Rose Hacker for more details.
Middle School Announcements
- Sunday, Jan. 12, 2:00-3:30pm
- Thursday, Jan. 30, 7:00-8:30pm
- Monday, Feb. 3, 7:00-8:30pm
- Thursday, Feb. 6, 7:00-8:30pm
WIHI Informational Meeting
Washtenaw International High School (WIHI) is a free International Baccalaureate option for current 8th graders. Their PTO will be hosting a number of international meetings in locations throughout Ann Arbor. WIHI will also visit Emerson to talk to 8th graders about this option on Feb. 5.
Cranbrook Open House
Learn about Cranbrook high school at their Open House on Sunday, Jan. 12, 1-3pm.
Other News & Events
Nicola’s Books is hosting Laurie Halse Anderson, author of The Impossible Knife of Memory. Learn more.