For the last few years, Emerson 3rd, 4th and 5th grade students have participated in the USA SOS (“Safe Online Surfing”) Internet Challenge. The program served over 500,000 students with over 2,000 schools participated.
For the 2014-2015 school year, Emerson 4th Grade student, Mark Labovitz, scored the highest in the nation for Grade 4 in the online safety quiz. Emerson’s 5th Grade also had the highest combined score in the nation for all the fifth grades and ended up in first place. Also of note, 31 Emerson students in grades 3-5 placed in the top 10% in the nation. Trophies for the first place winners were presented during assemblies this past week.
More information on the USA-SOS Program:
- Developed in collaboration with the FBI Crimes Against Children unit in Miami, FL
- Funded from 2005 to 2015
- Served over 500,000 students
- Schools in all 50 states participated
- Over 2,000 schools registered to use the program
- The program resulted in the FBI Director’s Community Service Award in 2010